How to Use a Vape Pen for Concentrates
Cannabis concentrates rank among the fastest growing product lines at many dispensaries, as patients of all experience levels begin to appreciate the benefits of high quality extracts. These effective, flavorful, and cannabinoid-rich creations provide all the properties of quality cannabis flowers in a purer form and smaller package. The easiest way to enjoy these products is with a concentrate vaporizer and the following tips will help you get started.
Why Use a Vaporizer?
When it comes to cannabis concentrates, a little goes a long way. Just a single gram of wax, shatter, or rosin contains several doses. No one wants to waste quality medicine, and vaporizing offers the level of control you need. Heating the material at a lower temperature will activate its cannabinoid content more efficiently while improving flavor. Better yet, modern pen-style vaporizers are affordable, pocket-sized, and convenient to use.
What is a Vape Pen?
Named for their thin, cylindrical shape that often resembles an ink pen, vape pens are small personal vaporizers designed for cannabis concentrates. Many units include these basic parts:
- Battery: This is the longest section of the pen, which provides power to the unit.
- Heating Chamber: This section attaches to the battery and applies heat to the concentrate, which is placed inside it.
- Mouthpiece: Vapor is inhaled through this section, which attaches to the heating coil.
- Charger: Separate from the pen itself, this recharges the battery.
- Dab Tool: A small metal implement used to load concentrate into the heating chamber.
How Do You Use It?
The device itself is quite simple. The patient simply loads a small amount of concentrate into the unit, presses a button to heat the material and inhales vapor through the mouthpiece. Here are the important steps in more detail:
- Charging the battery: Most units include a USB charger with a red light that indicates when it’s charging and a green light for when it’s ready to use.
- Assembling the unit: Once charged, the battery should be screwed onto the heating chamber until tightly fastened. Note that many common vape pen batteries require you to tap the button 5 times in order to activate the unit.
- Loading the chamber: Opposite the side that screws onto the battery, the heating chamber will have a cavity for housing your concentrate. You’ll typically see one or two small heating coils or a ceramic disk located at the bottom. Concentrate should be placed directly on the heating element. To prevent clogs, be careful not to overfill the chamber. A portion of concentrate about the size of a peppercorn is a good starting point. Using a dab tool to load the unit is recommended due to the stickiness of many concentrates.
- Preparing to vape: Once the unit is loaded, you’ll need to screw the mouthpiece section onto the side of the heating chamber opposite the battery. The unit is now fully assembled and ready to use.
- Inhalation: Press the button located on the battery and begin to inhale. You should see the button and/or battery tip light up to indicate that it is activated. As you inhale, you’ll feel vapor begin to enter your lungs. Release the button a few seconds before you’re done inhaling to clear any additional vapor in the chamber. When exhaling, you should be able to see and taste the vapor, which indicates that the unit is working properly. Hold the button down again each time you wish to inhale and remember to pace yourself to achieve the desired effect for your symptoms.
The above description applies to self-loaded vape pens designed for loose concentrates. Another popular option is prefilled cartridges, which are a simple and convenient option if you’re new to concentrates. If you’ve purchased a prefilled vapor cartridge, you may simply attach it to a charged battery, hold down the button, and begin vaping.
Prefilled cartridges typically come in a standard 510 thread size, which means they’ll be compatible with most vape pen batteries. These can be purchased separately or you may use a battery from a vape pen kit as described above. Depending on the style of battery you’ve purchased, you may need to tap the button 5 times in order to activate the unit.
Cannabis concentrates offer a convenient and effective option for patients seeking fast symptom relief and vape pen technology makes the experience particularly appealing. If you’re new to concentrates and vaporization, our staff will be happy to discuss options with you and answer any questions you have. Many of our patients have enjoyed discovering this treatment option and we hope you’ll find it helpful as well.How to Use a Vape Pen for Concentrates Cannabis concentrates rank among the fastest growing product lines at many dispensaries, as patients of all experience levels begin to appreciate the
Vape Pens Explained:
- Guide to using a Vape Pen
- Ecig vs Vape Pen vs Mech Mod
- Infographic: Electronic cigarettes vs Vape Pens
Vape Pen Vs. E-Cig: What’s the Difference?
There is a lot of confusion in regards to how a vape pen and an e-cig are different from one another. Basically, an electronic cigarette is an oil vaporizer pen that is used for vaping fluids called e-juice or e-liquid. These fluids often contain nicotine and are used as replacements for tobacco cigarettes. A true oil vaporizer pen can be used to vape essential oils as well as e juice or e liquid.
Vaporizer pens can be used to inhale a number of different materials. Often, people call vaporizer pens by names that indicate what they are used to vape. The three main types include:
– Oil vaporizer pen, which is also called an oil pen or oil vape pen. This type of vaporizer is made to hold liquid oils, such as essential oils made from botanical herbs, and electronic cigarette fluid, called e juice or e liquid. E juice oils are offered in many different flavors. Some contain nicotine and can be used in place of tobacco cigarettes.
– Wax vaporizer pen, which is also called a wax pen or a wax vape pen. This type of vaporizer is made to hold thicker oils that have a waxy consistency.
– Dry herb vaporizer pen, which is also called an herb or herbal vape pen. This type of vaporizer is made to hold dry herbs. Most often, vaporizer pens are used to vaporize herbs, but some people utilize them for vaping dry tobacco leaves, as an alternative to smoking or dry botanical herbs for aromatherapy.
Guide to using a Vape Pen
If you’re purchasing your first vaporizer pen, you’re likely to have questions about how to use it, and it can be hard to know where to turn to find answers.
1. Charge Your Pen
Nearly all vaporizer pen batteries need to be charged before you can use them the first time. When you unbox your vaporizer pen, attach it to the charger provided by the manufacturer and plug it in. Most often, you’ll use the USB port on your computer or a USB wall adapter if you have one to charge, but some models do come with a vape charger that plug into wall outlets. It may take a few hours for the battery to charge all the way. Be patient. You want it to be fully charged the first time you use it.
It’s important that you only use the charger made for your vape pen to charge it. Some vape pen batteries will fit into chargers for pens made by other brands; however, there’s no guarantee that an off-brand charger will safely charge your vape pen battery. Don’t risk the life of your vape battery!
2. Read the Instructions
While you’re waiting for your vaporizer pen battery to charge, read the instruction manual from cover to cover. The instructions will tell you the specific way that you should use your vape pen, and how to care for and clean it to keep it working smoothly use after use. Make sure that you look for information on how often you need to do things like replace the coils, atomizer, or cartomizer.
3. Run Your Vape Pen Dry
Before you load up your new herbal vaporizer pen, assemble it and turn the unit on using the method described by the manufacturer. If it has variable heat setting options, set it to the highest temperature. If not, just leave it on for 30 to 60 seconds. This will help to burn off any residues that were left behind during the manufacturing process to give you a purer vape.
4. Load Your Material
You’ll need to consult the instruction manual to get the specific directions for how to use your vaporizer pen. Generally, though, a vaporizer for wax will require you to dab your material either onto the heating element or onto its wick, and oily concentrates will be poured into a vape tank. If you have a dry herb vaporizer, make sure you grind your herbs finely unless the manufacturer gives you other instructions. Your material will then be loaded into a chamber in most cases. Don’t pack it too tightly unless otherwise instructed.
5. Use Your Vaporizer
Go ahead and draw from your vaporizer pen using the method the manufacturer recommends. You may simply need to put the mouthpiece to your lips and breathe in, or you may need to push or hold down a button. When you pull your mouth away from the mouthpiece, take in a little air with the vapor, and then hold the vapor in your lungs for a few seconds before breathing out.
6. Take Your Time
If you have a wax vaporizer, the high from vaping can be intense, so it’s best to start slow. Just do one or two draws and wait for the effects before progressing. You can always go back for another draw if you need to, but you can’t take back a draw!
If you have more questions about how to use a vape pen, we’re here to help! Contact the customer service team here at VaporPlants.com for answers to general questions or for specific advice about a particular wax or herbal vaporizer pen.
- What Is an E Cigarette?
- What Is a Vape Pen?
- What Is a Mechanical Mod?
Hoping to move from smoking tobacco cigarettes to vaping nicotine e juice, so you can decrease your exposure to toxins and enjoy tasty flavors? You’re about to be introduced to a whole new world of terminology, which can be overwhelming to many beginners. But not to worry, this guide will help you decide the best way for you to begin vaping, and introduce you to three main types of devices used for inhaling eliquid vapors.
What Is an E Cigarette?
“Electronic cigarette” or “ecig” is one of the most confusing terms in the world of vaping. Many places that advertise vapes for sale refer to any device used for vaping e liquids as electronic cigarettes, so technically you can call vape pens and authentic mechanical mods ecigarettes as well.
Still, the term ecigarette more correctly refers to a type of disposable alternative to tobacco cigarettes. True e cigarettes come pre-filled with liquid and are simple, longone-piece cylinders. When you take a draw, the battery turns on, heating up the e liquid inside and producing vapor for you to inhale. When the liquid inside is fully vaporized, you throw the electronic cigarette away and use a new one.
Who ecigs are best for: Electronic cigarettes are a good way for beginners to try vaping for the first time. They’re a fraction of the price of the best vape mods and vaporizer pens, so they don’t require a big investment upfront. A small number of experienced vapor enthusiasts may choose to use ecigs over vape pens and vape mods because they do not require maintenance and can make vaping cheaper.
– Benefits of an e cig: The main benefit of an ecig is that it doesn’t cost much to purchase. They never need to be filled, charged, or cleaned. The compact size of electronic cigarettes makes them the most discreet option.
– Drawbacks of an e cig: As you’ll see from reading e cigarette reviews, electronic cigarettes produce low quality vapor and usually only give you small vapor clouds. You’re limited in terms of flavor options, and ecigs produce a lot of waste. They also may end up being more expensive in the long run as you must buy a new one frequently.
Video: Modern E-Cigarettes
What Is a Vape Pen?
As the name suggests, the device is long and slender like a pen. There are many different types of vaporizer pens, including the dry herb vape pen, which is used with tobacco, and dried botanical herbs; the wax vape pen, which is used with herbal waxy concentrates; and the oil vape pen, which is used for essential oils and e juice. A vaporizer pen, vape pen, or vapor pen is a device that consists of three pieces: a rechargeable battery, a tank for holding e liquid, and a mouthpiece. The vape pen heats up the liquid when you push the button to turn the battery on, and the vapor then flows through the mouthpiece for you to inhale. Vaporizer pens are reusable, but you will need to replace portions of the heating element or the entire tank on a regular basis.
Who vape pens are best for: Vaporizer pens are ideal for people who are ready to commit to vaping and want to enjoy good quality vapor, yet still want a simple-to-use vaping solution.
– Benefits of a vape pen: Vaporizer pens are like a happy medium compared to a mod vape What Is a Mechanical Mod?
A mechanical mod, mech mod, or mods vape is a vaping device that has advanced features. Most allow you to set the voltage of the battery, which makes it possible to adjust the temperature of the heating element to produce more or less vapor. The batteries on vaping mods are usually larger and more powerful than what’s found on other vapes for ejuice.
Who are mech mods best for: E cig mods or custom vape mods are best for experienced vaping enthusiasts who already know how vaporizer pens work, and are ready to improve their vaping experience with a more powerful, customizable unit.
– Benefits of mechanical mods: You truly can’t beat the quality of the vapor produced with the best vape mod devices. Because vape pen mods are so customizable, you can better tailor your vaping experience to your exact needs, adjusting the temperature, thickness, flavor, and smoothness of the vapor by altering the voltage. The best vape mods typically offer longer battery lives than standard vaporizer pens, meaning you can vape for longer periods of time without recharging vape battery mods than you can a vaporizer pen.
– Drawbacks of mechanical mods: Ecig mods are the most expensive types of vaporizer pens and electronic cigarettes because they have more advanced features. A mechanical mod vape can also be complicated, as you need to learn about how the voltage affects the performance to set vaporizer mods optimally and get the best results. Another drawback is that a mech mod is usually larger than other devices, making it less discreet.
Still not sure whether an e-cigarette, a vape pen, or a vape mod is right for you? We’ll be glad to help you decide. Here at VaporPlants.com, we have electronic cigarettes, vaporizer pens, and vape mods for sale and can help you choose the best e vape to meet your needs. Contact us for help selecting ecig, vaporizer pen, and vape mod kits.
Top Questions with Answers
Why Do People Use Vape Pens?
Vape pens are primarily used as a cleaner alternative to smoking. When you smoke tobacco, or another material, it involves combustion, the burning of a material. The smoke given off during combustion contains the aromatic essences of whatever you’re burning, but it also contains many impurities. Vaping releases vapor, not smoke, through vaporization, not combustion. Vapor is much cleaner than smoke produced from the same material. For example, when you burn herbs in the form of a cigarette, the resulting smoke is 88 percent impurities with 111 different chemical compounds present.
How Does a Vape Pen Work?
Each vaporizer pen has its own specific setup, but all include three components: a battery, a heating chamber or tank, and a mouthpiece. Materials are placed inside of the tank or heating chamber. When the vaporizer is turned on, the battery provides power to heat up a heating element inside of the heating chamber or tank. The heating element makes the material so hot that it reaches its point of vaporization, a key temperature at which the aromatic compounds in the material turn to gaseous vapor. When you put the mouthpiece to your lips and draw, the vapor leaves the heating chamber and travels through the mouthpiece.
Vape Pens versus Other Vaporizers
Another point of confusion for some people is how a vape pen compares to portable and desktop vaporizers. The differences are as follows:
– Portable vaporizers are hand-helds that run on batteries or are powered by the heat from a flame or by butane. They can vary in size, from very large units that are nearly as powerful as desktop vaporizers, but that run on batteries, to smaller, pocket sized designs that are intended for use on the go. Typically, a vape is called a portable vaporizer if it does not run on electricity and cannot be classified as a vape pen.
– Desktop vaporizers use electricity to power their heating elements. These vapes are large in size and are intended only for home use. They are very powerful and generally the most expensive vaporizer option.
– Vaporizer pens are compact, pocket sized devices that are designed specifically for use outside of the home (although they can be enjoyed at home, too). A vaporizer pen is easily recognizable by its pen shape, and this type of vape runs on batteries. Technically, a vaporizer pen is also a portable vaporizer, but you’ll most often hear a vape that fits the description of a pen categorized as a pen rather than as a portable vape or portable vaporizer.
To see our 2 simple steps guide on what to look for when choosing the right vaporizer, click here.
Things to Know Before Buying a Vape Pen
There are some distinctive benefits to buying a vaporizer pen for your vaping needs, including:
- Ease of Use: A vaporizer pen is very easy to use. You can typically begin using one to the fullest capacity the very first time.
- Convenience: A vaporizer pen is easy to travel with and can be used anywhere discreetly.
- Cost: Vaporizer pens are generally less expensive than other types of vaporizers.
- Versatility: You can purchase pens that will allow you to vape any type of material that you wish and even enjoy different types of materials with the same pen.
Although the benefits of vape pens are many, you should know that there are a few downsides to choosing one instead of other types of vaporizers. Some of the drawbacks of vape pens include the fact that they are:
- Less Powerful. A vaporizer pen is not as powerful as a desktop vaporizer, and often is less powerful than larger portable vapes.
- Harder and More Expensive to Maintain. With many vaporizer pens, you must replace the heating chamber, mouthpiece, and battery periodically. In other types of vaporizers, you may only have to replace the screens.
- Shorter Battery Life. Compared to a larger battery-powered portable vaporizer, a vape pen will usually have a shorter battery life.
If you are still not sure on what to consider when buying a vaporizer, click here.
Conduction Vaporizer pens transfer heat directly to the material. The heating chamber is set up so that the material is in contact with the heating element. A conduction vaporizer gets hot very quickly, but it can cause uneven heating. This is because the material closest to the heating element receives much more heat.
Convection Vaporizer pens work due to heated air. In the heating element in a convection pen, there is space between the heating element and the material; there is no direct contact. Instead, the air in the heating chamber gets hot and then passes through the material. A convection vaporizer can take longer to get hot, but it will typically provide a steadier stream of vapor and more even heating of material.If you’re new to the world of vaping, and just exploring your vaporizer options, a Vape Pen is a great place to begin. Click Here to learn and find answers! ]]>