Atmos Astra 2 Review
Kit and Accessories
- Atmos Astra 2
- One plastic mouthpiece
- One glass mouthpiece
- Cleaning brush + Packing tool
- USB charging cable
Compatibility: The Astra 2 is compatible with dry herbs only.
Mouthpiece Options: The Astra 2 kit includes a shorter plastic mouthpiece and a longer glass one. Both can be replaced for a low price on Atmos’ official website.
- The shorter mouthpiece is the better choice for portability but it is also quite comfortable to vape from. That is because it extends slightly to form a tapered shape that feels good but fails to adequately cool down the vapor. I would be disappointed if it were the only mouthpiece, but luckily there is a better option.
- The longer glass mouthpiece isn’t particularly travel-friendly but you won’t mind once you start inhaling from it because it has all the benefits you expect from a glass mouthpiece. The neutral material keeps the flavor pure and the long airpath keeps the vapor cool. The extended glass mouthpiece is easily the better one and it is a nice option for a portable vaporizer.
Design and Features
Overall Design: The Astra 2 is a pretty good looking device with a lot of practical touches. It looks a little like the key fob of a luxury car at first glance, and it feels just as good. The metal parts are made from anodized, scratch-resistant stainless steel so it’s pretty durable, and it has a nice finish that isn’t too glossy. Rubber grips on the shoulder of the device make holding it feel comfortable.
Ceramic Oven: The Astra 2 has a sizeable ceramic oven that can hold 0.3 grams of herb. That’s a pretty good size for solo users and the wide shape makes loading much easier. Also, the ceramic material keeps the herb, and the vapor it produces, pure.
Feature List: My only problem is that the temperature control buttons are a little too low on the device to be controlled while holding it in one hand, placing them just below the power button would have been ideal, but this is a minor problem overall. The Astra 2 gives users feedback through the OLED screen, the haptic feedback feature, and the lights around the control buttons. They keep you well apprised of the Astra 2’s heating, temperature, and battery status at all times. This is a feature set that I would be impressed to see on a dry herb vape that costs $100 more than this one.
Ease of Use: Rounding out the design feature list is the fact that it is easy to remove and replace each mouthpiece when you want to load the chamber or switch them out. The Astra 2 is only four inches tall and about an inch wide so portability is very high, as long as you use the plastic mouthpiece. The glass mouthpiece is better but it limits the travel-friendliness of the device.
Build Quality: The Astra 2 is made from stainless steel and rubber so it’s pretty rugged. There is some nice weight to it as well, so it’s a pretty solid feeling device.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Since it essentially consists of just two parts—the body and either mouthpiece—the Astra 2 is pretty easy to clean. The chamber can be cleaned using either the included cleaning brush or a q-tip dipped in isopropyl alcohol. The shorter plastic mouthpiece can be easily cleaned by soaking it in a bowl of isopropyl alcohol, but the longer one needs a little more care.
You can clean the glass part of it using the brush or iso soaked q-tips, but you should soak the plastic part in alcohol. All of that cleaning only takes a few minutes, which makes the Astra 2 one of the more low maintenance vaporizers around.
How to Use
- Push the tip of your chosen mouthpiece forward to expose the herb chamber, load your herb, replace the mouthpiece.
- Press the power button 5x times rapidly to turn on the Astra 2, the device will vibrate, and the OLED screen will light up.
- Choose your temperature using the up/down arrows, once the temperature has been selected, press the power button once to begin heating. The word “heat” will appear on the OLED display.
- Once the temperature has been reached, the Astra 2 will vibrate and the word “warm” will appear on the screen.
- Inhale from the mouthpiece to start vaping.
The official user manual is located on this page.
Temperature Range: The Astra 2 has a granular temperature range of 300°F to 435°F.
Performance and Vapor Quality
Vaporizer Performance: The Astra 2 heats up in under a minute despite being a pretty small vape. It also doesn’t get as hot as smaller vapes do, so the performance is pretty solid for a vaporizer this size. Smaller vapes usually run hot because they have less space to circulate and distribute the heat that builds up during operation. As a result, they tend to get hotter than larger vapes while in use. Fortunately, the Astra 2 manages to avoid that problem.
Vapor Quality: The vapor is hot and harsh when using the plastic mouthpiece. The reason is that it sits directly over the herb chamber so the vapor doesn’t get any time to cool down. That’s why the longer mouthpiece is better, it’s increased length helps to cool down the vapor and the glass material keeps it cool and pure. I was surprised and impressed by the amount of vapor this tiny vape produces. If you want to get the highest amount of vapor from the Astra 2 then set it at 385°F. The flavor is good, better than most weed vapes of this size, but it won’t trouble larger, more expensive vapes.
Battery Performance: The Astra 2 has a 2200 mAh battery that lasts for a little over an hour of non-stop vaping, that’s good for about five to six sessions before it needs a recharge. That recharge does take about three hours though, which is on the long side even when you take the small size into account.The Atmos Astra 2 was a pretty solid mid-tier weed vape when it launched. Can it still keep up—or beat—the competition? Read the review to find out.
Atmos Astra Review:
Multifunction vaping isn’t exactly a new technology. Atmos RX and a number of other brands have released models that can be used with oil, dry herbs, and wax; however, models with multifunction technology are much more rare. Now, AtmosRX is changing that with the Astra, a portable 3-in-1 vape.
Use coupon code ‘VPR’ to save 10%
- Economical vaporizer
- 3-in-1 design lets you use dry herbs, wax & oil with one device
- Advanced convection air flow for efficiency
- Very good vapor taste and potency
- Vapor quantity with dry herbs is good
- Long, 5-year warranty
- Vapor can be thin with wax and oil
- High resistance can make the vaporizer hard to use
- Frequent cleaning is needed to keep it working well
- Longer heat up time than many portables
In-Depth of the Atmos Astra
– Price – sold for just $99, the Atmos Astra is a mid-range portable unit; however, when you consider the price you would pay to buy three different vapes for dry herbs, wax, and oil, the 3-in-one vaporizer’s value becomes apparent.
– Vapor Quality – as a convection vaporizer, it is highly efficient and won’t combust your herbs. In all three modes, the Atmos Astra offers vapor with a pleasing taste and maximum potency. The model can produce large vapor clouds, but vapor production is more limited when the model is used as an oil or wax vape.
– Guarantee – this device has a 5-year warranty, which is long compared to other portable vapes in this price range.
– Prep Time – you can load it rather easily, but its heat up time is a little lengthy at 90 seconds. This is due mainly to the fact that it is a convection vaporizer, and it takes time for the air inside to heat up to high enough levels to warm the herbs.
– Portability – the Astra will fit in your pocket for easy carrying, but it is larger than a standard vaporizer pen. Its larger size makes it slightly less compact, but you’ll still be able to easily take this vape with you when you’re traveling.
– Ease of Use – one of the biggest problems with this model is that it has a lot of resistance, which can make it hard to get a big deep draw, especially for someone with breathing difficulties. The vaporizer will also need frequent cleaning, as it has air flow holes that can become quickly clogged.
– Heating and Temperature Regulators – the Astra allows you to choose from five temperature settings, and it holds its temperature well no matter what you’re vaping.
– Power Supply – with a fully charged battery, it can be used 3 or 4 times, which is about average for a portable model.Atmos Astra, a 3-in-1 portable vaporizer – works as an oil vape for e-juice, dry herb vaporizer, and wax vaporizer. Read our complete Atmos Astra review here! ]]>